Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Right Decision


Confession #1: I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.
Confession #2: I don't know if switching my major was the right decision.
Confession #3: I don't know if I believe in mistakes.

It's scary when you think about every decision you've ever made and then think "what if..."  Then what?  What if I'd just stuck out my major, then I'd be a nurse in a couple years and have a set career plan.  What if I'd become a biology major, then I could be a doctor.  What if I'd transferred to Iowa State, would I be on track to work with horses as my career, would I have switched majors again.  Whatifwhatifwhatif?  I could have done anything, been anything I wanted to be. . .and still can.

The problem with these questions is that they invoke worry, fear, and doubt.  We shouldn't worry.  God has a plan, whatever we do for His glory, He will bless.

Bit of a jump here, stay with me but, are there really mistakes?  Are mistakes really something you did wrong or are they choices you made that lead you where you're supposed to go?  What is a mistake?  You learn from them (well most of you) so are they bad?  Mistakes are teachers and choices, not errors and shortcomings.  So then why worry?

The whole reason behind this post is that I was watching Grey's Anatomy yesterday and started wondering if I'd done a really stupid thing by transferring out of the nursing program, and thinking how my life might have gone in the future had I stuck with it.  I could have been a NICU nurse, I could have been a surgeon, I could have spent my life saving people.  Only today did I realize how stupid that thought process was.  I don't know what's going to happen in the future and I was MISERABLE in the nursing program; miserable to the point of severe depression.  Being a nurse was definitely not worth my health or sanity.  I can still change/save lives, I don't even have to be in the medical field for that. 

So once again I'm going to try to stop worrying and enjoy the ride.  More than that I'm going to stop second-guessing myself and start empowering myself.  If there's a career that I really, truly feel passionate about I shouldn't let the what ifs stop me from trying for it.  I (and everyone else out there) should stop leaving things up to other people. 

Stop thinking someone more important than you will change the world. A) you don't know that! B) stop devaluing yourself, you're important so be that change.

Imagine if everyone in the world tried being extraordinary what we could accomplish.

Summary: no right/wrong decisions = no mistakes, just lessons, if you learn from them you will get to where you need to be.  P.S. be extraordinary.  Fin.


No comments:

Post a Comment