Thursday, November 14, 2013

She's got to get her priorities sorted...

One thing I have learned in England is that experiences are much more valuable than mementos.  At first I was pretty gung-ho about getting souvenirs (luckily prices scared me away from most of them), but as I've gotten more travels under my belt, I've realised that life isn't about things you have, it's about things you do.  If you're bored, unhappy, or uncertain with your life, go do something.  Do something that scares you and pushes you out of your comfort zone.  Do something you've always wanted to do, but for some reason never did.  Do something for someone else.  Do something for yourself.  Just pull a Nike and do it.

Things that scare me:
  1. Being alone
  2. Being lost
  3. Failing
  4. Letting others down
  5. Being vulnerable
  6. Losing control
  7. Spiders
  8. Being helpless
Pretty sure I've faced every single one of these fears since entering the UK:
  1. I will be traveling all the way to Ireland on my own - this will be a HUGE opportunity for growth and independence on my part.
  2. I will probably get lost on the way to Ireland.
  3. This one is relative - there are lots of things that constitute personal failure in my mind that I face daily.  As far as school is concerned, I don't understand the British grading system where a 75 is a "really good mark" so I often feel like a failure in class.  Spanish has been my biggest struggle since coming here, I feel inadequate.
  4. I've experienced letting others down a couple times since I've come here, I've worked through it with them, and I've started to grow.  I recognise that I'm not always going to be able to do everything for everyone all the time - sometimes I'm going to mess up and that's part of life.
  5. I have a lot of emotions, they like to be heard, I hate this about myself.  I've had the opportunity to open up to people here in way I never do at home.
  6. I've had a couple losses of control, I have to keep reminding myself that you can fall without failing.
  7. There are plenty in this country, and they aren't small either.  One day I found one in my hair after a run - it died.
  8. When things happen at home whilst you have absolutely no means (other than prayer) of (physically) doing anything about them, you feel helpless.  If you have faith, it's a great opportunity for growth. 
Bam!  Just by making the decision to do something and study abroad I've been forced to deal with each of my fears.  Doesn't mean I've conquered them, but I'm working on it.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with my weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.  For when I am weak, I am strong."

Being here has made me realise how materialistic life shouldn't be.  At home I used to reward myself with getting something new, now I'm going to reward myself with doing something new.  There is so much I want to learn and experience in my life, and it is feasible (well, most of it, I've pretty much accepted that I'm never going to be accepted to Hogwarts).  

Here are some things I plan on doing when I get home:
  1. Getting on a schedule with riding my horse and get to a competition-ready level.
  2. Getting more involved at church with youth and people my own age - maybe starting a Bible study.
  3. Spending more time with friends & family, and less time by myself (I'll still need my alone-time, but it doesn't need to be all the time).
  4. Learning archery.
  5. Joining a boxing club - finally committing to learning to kickbox.
  6. Actually training for a half-marathon.
  7. Cooking more and trying new recipes (eating more veggies).
  8. Sorting out future plans in a proactive fashion.
  9. Taking road trips.
  10. Experiencing life
I like how they started fairly specific, then got extremely broad.  Oh well, those are my plans.  
Here's a random picture of me experiencing life in England:

No comments:

Post a Comment