Monday, December 3, 2012

DOGS!

I really want a dog, it's like being baby-crazy, but for a puppy.  It's the most stressful time of the year (only a week and a half left until finals) so some friends and I went to Petsmart the other night to look at adorable animals and bring our stress levels down a notch.  While there we got to pet PUPPIES (we were literally going up to random strangers and asking if we could pet their dogs, I think we may have interrupted an obedience class): 2 huskies, a cocker spaniel, a chihuahua, a yorkie, and a schnauzer.  It was awesome and, of course, now I want a dog, my life will not be complete until I have one (and it won't be a possibility for at least another year).  Anywho, like a crazy person, I have been taking quizzes about which breeds would be best for me and doing a little research on the ones I like (which is bad because I should be working on finals stuff).

Here are some of my top picks:
  • Kuvasz
  • Anatolian Shepherd
  • Australian Shepherd
  • English Setter
  • Akita
  • Samoyed
  • Border Collie
  • Dalmation
  • Siberian Husky
  • Alaskan Malamute
  • Belgian Tervuren
  • Bernese Mountain Dog
  • Shetland Sheepdog
  • Boxer
  • Springer Spaniel (English or Welsh)
  • Finnish Spitz
  • German Shepherd
And have now narrowed down the ones that could suit my proposed future lifestyle (which includes apartment living and long jogs) according to Purina:
  • Australian Shepherd
  • Samoyed
  • Dalmation
  • Siberian Husky (given lot's of exercise)
  • Shetland Sheepdog
  • Boxer
  • Finnish Spitz
  • Springer Spaniel
  • German Shepherd
Cost of owning a dog (let's be honest):
Let's use the scenario that I purchase a Siberian Husky (my dream dog)

Purchase price:
  1. Adopting a puppy/young dog from Taysia Blue Siberian Husky Rescue: $300-350
  2. Buying from an AKC certified breeder in my home state: $300-400
Vet bills:
  1. Adoption Organization takes care of the major veterinary needs
  2. Initial visit for a puppy: $175-200
  3. Initial visit for an adult dog: $60
  4. Spaying/neutering: $60-150
  5. An average year (non-emergent visits only): about $450
Stuff I'll Need:
  1. Bowls: $20 (you need 2)
  2. Beds: $20 (puppy) - $60 (adult)
  3. Bissel Spot Vac (for cleaning up messes): $129
  4. Stain/Odor Remover Spray: $7.50
  5. Collar: $15
  6. Harness: $17-60
  7. Leash: $15-20
  8. Toys: $20-50
  9. Grooming tools: $25
  10. Siberian Huskies for Dummies: $10
  11. Pooper Scooper: $15
  12. Crate: $70-150
Food: $25/mo = $300/year
Training: $80-200
Total Cost: $1,278.50 - $1,811.50

So once I have that much money saved up, I can get a dog. . . . . .that won't take long at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment