Sunday, September 15, 2013

Canterbury Day One

Just so you know, these posts are going to be short, sweet, and to-the-point otherwise I will eventually find them tedious and stop writing ;)

Anywho, today I arrived in Canterbury with fellow student and name-sharer Sarah W.  We arrived at London's Heathrow around 8:30am UK time (so that's 2:30am your time) after not really sleeping on the plane (at least I didn't...I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Great Gatsby, Monster's University, and a couple episodes of Big Bang Theory, jealous?).  We got through customs in a relatively untimely manner due to the fact we were directed to the wrong line initially and stood in it for about 30 minutes before realizing our folly, then proceeded to not find our driver (he eventually found us).  We left Heathrow around 10:30am with our driver and a Canadian student who seemed really awesome and with whom I hope to meet up with again.  Then we all blacked out from exhaustion, next thing you know we were at 7 Vernon Place, our home for the next 90 days.  A few very nice Canterbury students and  Jayne-Anne, our programme advisor helped us move our very heavy bags to the top floor.

Initially upon seeing my tiny room I became rather terribly homesick, but luckily about 10 minutes after Sarah and I arrived the rest of the residents of the entire building (including my other 3 floormates) arrived from Illinois (well Heathrow).  We quickly acquainted ourselves and started settling into our rooms.  30 minutes later the group of Freshers Leaders (OL's) took us into town and left us to explore, which also meant we had to find our own way back - a very empowering experience when you are able to accomplish it without getting lost. 

After shopping, setting up a phone, buying sorry excuses for a couple blankets, a giant sheet, a few hangers, and the best gluten free bread I have quite possibly ever had (along with a few other groceries - wine is on tomorrow's list), I was back in my flat unpacking, organizing, and settling in.  This quickly led to list-making of things I still need from ASDA (British Wal-mart, conveniently located a 30 minute walk away from my flat).  I also tested the shower which ended up having the water pressure of a light summer's rain, oh well, it's only 3 months and at least we have a shower.

This evening all of the international students in my flat complex (Vernon Place, which is like a tiny Hogwarts with all its hidden passageways and tunnels and things) went to the Student Union Pub for a Freshers meet and greet where we met other students (freshman, lots of international, and returning students).  There we danced the Mocarana, the electric slide of sorts to Icona Pop, and Gangnam Style, twas quite fun, but I have now been up for around 38-40ish hours with only 2 non-consecutive hours of sleep and am quite tired.  Thus I shall now be going to bed.

Sad fact of the day- the toilets are old and have some issues, and the internet is slow.
Happy fact of the day- I love Canterbury and Netflix actually does work in spite of the internet. :)

Short, sweet, and to-the-point will kick in as I become more involved with British life, standby.

No comments:

Post a Comment