Friday, September 20, 2013

Days 4 & 5



Ok really quick rundown of yesterday’s events:
1.     Welcome sessions on main campus in the morning – very repetitive of sessions we’d already had as they were meant for the rest of the international students who joined us yesterday.
2.     Free lunch at Augustine House (the lib) where they happily fixed me a gf cheddar and veg sandwich (so delicious).
3.     Shopping excursion in City Centre – didn’t buy a thing
4.     Traditional dinner at the Lounge (SU Pub) – fish and chips, I had chips
5.     QUIZ NIGHT!!!! (at the Lounge)
a.     Quite possibly the best night ever
b.     Paid a pound to play on a team of many new friends from Chicago and 2 from England Hanna and Andy – Freshers Crew) – Your Mom (so that they would have to say “Your Mom is wrong” or “Your Mom is winning” or “What did Your Mom say”)
c.     Had to answer random questions of trivia while drinking Strongbows
d.     Learned how to play “God Save the Queen”
                                               i.     Throw a 2p coin in someone’s cup
                                             ii.     They have to drink all the alcohol to save HM the Queen from drowning
e.     Watched people do the most disgusting shots I have ever seen for getting caught cheating (pardon the French)
                                               i.     “Fucking Awful”
                                             ii.     “Fucking Disgusting”
                                            iii.     “Liquid Chlamydia”
f.      Got asked if I was Irish (possibly the best thing anyone has ever asked me)
                                               i.     Group of British students behind us asked if I was Irish, saying I had an Irish friend in their group
g.     Got told my fake British accent sound like Emma Watson (quite possibly the best compliment ever!)
h.     Watched the rest of my team do a shot of Absinthe-y Alcohol (70% alcohol) – the only reason I didn’t was because I wasn’t sure if it was GF and did not want to be gluten poisoned
i.      Watched a dance-off (or two)
j.      Watched a water-sipping competition, Tyler gave it a good go, but with no avail
k.     Cheered our team on as we finished respectably in the middle of the pack
l.      DANCED!
                                               i.     ChaCha Slide (slightly different in the UK)
                                             ii.     MACARENA!!!!
m.   Had the BEST NIGHT EVER!!!!
Now onto today’s adventures…
Today I woke up late (got to sleep till 10am, but I went to bed at 2am so it was nothing special), took a bath, and went to campus for a free lunch (another cheese and veggie sandwich with some fresh fruit).  After that I took a tour of the incredibly high-tech library and learned how to use all the new-fangled devices it houses (I’m going to live there).  After that I went shopping down High Street with a group of friends, bought a LITRE PYREX!!!!!!!!!!  I was soooooo excited, overnight oatmeal here I come!
After shopping we met up with SarahAnn and Christian (a British friend who studied shortly at MMU earlier this year) and Christian took us on a brief tour of campus then around town.  We stopped at the flat to drop off our things then ventured out to ASDA (taking the scenic route).  We walked for about an hour (he showed us both train stations and some really pretty parks) before arriving at ASDA.  ASDA is Wal-mart owned and is essentially British Wal-mart as far as cheap prices and quantity of things goes.  We had a quick dinner for the low, low price of £2.60 then wandered around ASDA for a good 45 minutes.  You’ll all be pleased to know that I found a cozy blanket and some more tasty GF items (British pastry/biscuity things that I thought I ought to try).  After shopping and having walked all day we made the executive decision to take the bus back to town and so we did.
Things we learned about the bus:
1.     It’s quite easy to use
2.     It’s a little expensive without a bus pass
3.     It doesn’t wait for you to sit down or get up so you better get in and out of your seat quickly
Now I’m back at the flat organizing my thoughts and the future 3 months…and money.  I’m trying not to stress too much, I’ll get it sorted and then I’ll feel better J
Funny quote of the day:
On our way to the flat from the bus station we saw a man running towards the station and SarahAnn said “I hope he’s running to meet the girl he loves before she gets on a bus”…or something similar….you had to be there I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment