Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 3

Today we found out that class starts tomorrow (at least our "British Studies" classes do).  I feel like a freshman again getting lost, not knowing what to expect, looking silly, and feeling eager/excited with just a touch of nervousness.  Anyway, in our lecture this morning regarding classes we learned that anything marked "Level 6" is going to be incredibly difficult as it is meant for students who have been studying the subject for 3 years (preferably at Canterbury); both my Spanish and Film classes are level 6.  I'm not sure I'm prepared for them so I'm going to meet with my adviser tomorrow after class to get it sorted.  That was a but stressful.  Another stressful happenstance occurred when I went to purchase a book at the book shop (Harry Potter no less) and realised that one of my cards was missing.  After having a total panic attack complete with tears I remembered that I left one of my cards safely at my flat in case my purse was stolen in an attempt to be proactive (clever right?).  All I can say is at least I remembered what I'd done in under 15 minutes so I didn't call and cancel my card.  After that short panic attack I went with a group of other students to scope out the fitness center, we found it alright, but it costs a pretty penny and isn't terribly close to my flat so I'm not sure if it's worth it.  After that, the two girls of the group and I went into the town centre for some shopping (we all needed shoes and some other things).  I think I'm going to have to splurge a bit and buy a pair of Clarks, good shoes are essential with all the walking we're doing.

So before all this happened we had a couple preliminary lectures about fun things to do in Canterbury, the SU (student union - an organisation literally devoted to making sure this is the best 3 months of our lives), and differences between US and UK education - UK is much more do-it-yourself which I really appreciate.  That was all fun (there is indeed an equestrian club -YAY!!!- and a climbing club as well so I may learn to rock climb).  That was all very informative.  Then we went for lunch and by this I mean we went home and had whatever we had in our flat.  I've literally been living off bread and butter (gf/df of course), oh and fruit.  I should probably add some variety.  After lunch we did the first paragraph.

After the first paragraph we returned to our flat and pretty much had the same thing for supper that we had for lunch (or at least I did).  After that we readied ourselves for a night out and headed off to the SU for some karaoke and drinks.  I had a pint of cider and sang about 5 songs (in groups of 3 or more) I think...well let's count to be sure:
1. Don't Stop Believing
2. Titanium
3. I Will Wait
4. Single Ladies

Ok so 4 songs, still took some courage of the liquid variety, but it was incredibly fun and I can't wait to do it again :)

I think it's off to be for me, I've got an early start tomorrow and I'll be walking to campus all by my lonesome so I best have my wits about me.

Random side note, I'm currently starving because it's dinner-time back in the States which my body hasn't quite figured out.

Other random comment, our flat only has a tub (no shower) so we can either venture downstairs and borrow someone else's or take a bath and tonight I discovered the joy of having a bath, it's actually quite nice.

Good night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment