Friday, December 13, 2013

Full Circle

Today was my last day in Canterbury.  I am determined to return to England, but I don't know when, or to where (probably Devon).  I hate uncertain situations, and I'm not fond of the unknown.  Basically, life is hard.  I have surprised myself with how incredibly hard this week has been emotionally.  I thought I was so ready to go home, then today hit, I had to say some difficult goodbyes, and suddenly I'm not ready to leave.  Canterbury has changed my life.  I am a different person thanks to this experience, and it's really hard to leave a place that has made such an impact on your life.  I am so INCREDIBLY thankful for all of my new friends, and all of the adventures we've had.  I anticipate many more to come (foreign and domestic).  However, for now it's back to the States, back to the real world.  Oy vey, it's gonna be a weird day!

It seems so unreal to be going home.  I imagine I won't really feel like I'm home until I see my family.  It's a truly indescribable feeling.  It doesn't feel possible to be going home (if that makes any sense).  Anyway, enough with the emotional stuff, let's see how far I've come.

On my first day here I was terrified, lost, out of my comfort zone, and homesick.  Honestly, my first thought after seeing my room was "There's no way I can survive 3 months here."  Then I unpacked and forced myself to get on with life - I didn't have a choice.  I slowly settled into life here, making lots of new friends along the way.  I became more adventurous and outgoing as the occasion called for it, and really had the time of my life.  Now I can't really remember not thinking of my room as a type of home.  I don't remember the desperate feeling of being trapped somewhere unfamiliar.  The feeling now is so much different because the comfort zone has become unknown.  I feel accomplished and empowered, like I could do anything (except go into space, I saw Gravity, nooooo thank you!).  Now I'm going back to the place where everything was known and I don't know how I'm going to react.  I'm different, but it's the same...and we're back to the weird emotional bits...moving right along.

Let's talk favourites:
  1. Favourite country = Ireland
  2. Favourite food that I made = Lamb Stew
  3. Favourite food that I bought = Fajita Chicken in Wales at the King's Head Pub
  4. Favourite moment of empowerment = navigating my way to Ireland on my own
  5. Favourite non-American moment = speaking Spanish with my Spanish teacher and Romanian classmate for 2 hours straight on the first day of class
  6. Favourite thing I acquired = my boots, they've been EVERYWHERE with me
  7. Favourite place in Canterbury = Oscar and Bentley's GF Restaurant, or the first floor of Starbucks...nope, scratch both of those, Georgia (and company)'s House
  8. Favourite Skill that I'm bringing home = my Irish accent
  9. Favourite alcoholic beverage = Bailey's Hot Chocolate (which should surprise NO ONE)
  10. Favourite change = my newly encountered sense of empowerment/independence - I am a responsible adult who is capable of caring for herself (but she would rather not have to for a while)
I would not change my study abroad experience for the world.  Both the good parts and the struggles helped me to learn, grow, and change.  I am a different and better person today because of them.  I would HIGHLY recommend that every student who is able, study abroad during their University experience, it is truly (guess the word....) LIFE-CHANGING!  It opens your eyes to different aspects of the world, and helps you see your own culture through the eyes of another.

Now I'm going to go enjoy my last night in Canterbury singing Karaoke at a Pub!  

Here is a song that I bought just before I left to help me cope with being separated from my family.  I'm posting it now, because I am once again about to be separated from my family.  My lovely friends, you are my study-abroad family, I wouldn't have made it through with out you, and I definitely would have had nearly as much fun!  I love you all!


2 comments: