Monday, December 16, 2013

Up in the Air

(written on the plane, posted 2 days later)
I am currently on a plane bound for Chicago.  As we approach North American airspace I can’t help…not looking forward to going through customs (thought I was gonna get all mushy on ya again, didn’t ya?  Well you were right).  I am 3 ½ hours away from landing in my home country, a place that will probably seem a little foreign.   I’m not entirely sure when I will get to see my family due to some minor irritations that I will discuss in a moment, but I cannot wait.  If I don’t get to be in England anymore, then I want to be home.  It’s funny how your perspective changes due to the inability to change one’s circumstances.  A week ago I was ready to leave, and then I realised that leaving meant saying goodbye, and goodbyes are hard.  Luckily compartmentalisation is here to protect me.  Now that I have left England and am headed toward home, my brain is preventing me from focusing on the sadness, only the happiness to come.

Cheese fest over, let’s get real.

Today has been a very stressful day, and it’s not even halfway over.  Let’s recount the little misfortunes shall we?
1.       Getting dropped off at the wrong terminal after having stopped at the correct terminal, and having to find our own way back.
2.       Paying $100 for checking a second bag.
3.       Finding out that not only is my phone misbehaving again (it was doing so well), but that it also refuses to recognise thecharger.
4.       Finding out that Sarah W’s boarding pass didn’t have an assigned seat meaning that there might not be space for her on the plane – I currently don’t know if she made it, and have no way of contacting her.
5.       Having to sit in the very middle of the middle row.
6.       Having to listen to the screaming, squirmy toddler, seated directly in front of my.
7.       Finding out that my connecting flight to Des Moines leaves an hour and fifteen minutes after my current flight arrives.
8.       Realising that I’ll have to collect my luggage, clear customs, recheck my bags, and reclear security in a half hour.
9.       Realising that if my phone is dead, I can’t call home – I sent my family a quick email, but I have no way of contacting them again until we land.
10.   Not knowing if or when I will be able to get home today.

I’m beginning to panic now.  I know God is good, everything happens for a reason, and everything will eventually be fine, but right now it’s not fine, I’m not fine. 

Only hopes:
1.       Informing customs that I’m might miss the only connecting flight to will help speed up the process…maybe throw in some tears (probably won’t have a choice).
2.       My connecting flight will be delayed so I can make it.
3.       There will be a direct flight to Cedar Rapids I can make, and it will be completely comped since it’s American Airlines’ fault for changing my connecting flight.

4.       That my phone will magically charge and be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment