Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What is LIFE?

It's what we make it.

Since I'm back in the States now, my adventures will probably be fewer and farther between so I'll probably go back to posting music and ranting about things (you love it).  I do fully intend to continue finding adventures in the States, my life has been way too exciting to quit cold turkey.  Today I'm going to play in the snow at some point, maybe walk 2 miles to the nearest coffee shop, who knows.  The possibilities are endless.

The truth of the matter is that you can't wait for adventures to happen, you have to make them happen.  Life is what you make it - it's in the living.  You can be alive and never lived.  Well, I've got a taste of what really living is like and I'm not inclined to let it go anytime soon.  I miss my friends, England, and the fun times we had there, but I'm not going to let missing those things consume my life.  I haven't lost anything, I've GAINED a lot - new friends, memories, experiences, attitudes, perspectives - things no one can take away or diminish.  I need to keep a positive perspective, as long as I do, life will go on.  I can continue to live no matter where I am.  It's going to be ok.

Being sad, and missing the UK is a normal part of studying abroad.  It's ok to feel those feelings.  If you have a lot of them, it's ok to go to a high school where you don't go and share them with others (although Tina Fey will probably ask you to leave).  It's not ok to let those feelings consume your life.  Your study abroad experience was an amazing part of your life, and while it's sad to leave, you also need to be thankful that you were ever able to go at all.  What a blessing!

Don't let longing for the joys of the past, prevent joy in your future.  Wanna know who said that?  Me, that's who.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called the "present."  That one I stole.  While I long for Canterbury, I'm going to force myself to get out of bed and relish in the joys of being home.

Joys of Being Home:
  1. Family and friends
  2. COFFEE
  3. Dishwasher
  4. Free washing of clothing in a machine that actually works
  5. MY HORSE!!!
  6. I don't have to do all my own cooking
  7. American Peanut Butter is just as good as Tesco's
  8. Baking supplies and things - KITCHENAID MIXER
  9. Target
  10. Comfy bed with super soft sheets
  11. Television and American Netflix
  12. Animal friends (Bella, Luther, and SPARX)
  13. Real blankets
  14. Closet full of clothes
  15. ALL my BOOKS!!  So many options!
  16. American plumbing that actually flushes - no more toilet roulette
  17. SHOWERS and fluffy towels
  18. The toilet paper never runs out
  19. Half Price Books
  20. Comfy couch and fireplace
  21. Don't have to go outside or pay to workout
  22. No more converters
  23. No more need to convert prices to $ 
  24. Relaxing, peaceful, night-time walks in the hood
  25. Harry Potter marathon on FRIDAY!!!
There are good things about being home.  Think about these things too.



No comments:

Post a Comment