Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The End is Nigh

I am 98 hours (and a plane ride) away from home.  This thought both elates and terrifies me.  Some of you might find this hard to believe, knowing how homesick I've been, but now that it's time to say goodbye I find myself hesitant.  Coming to England has been a lifelong dream, and I've lived it, now I have to go back to the way things were.  It won't be the same though because I'm not the same.  I'm excited to put the new me into my old environment and see what I do.  This trip has changed my life, I've grown up so much over the past three months - it's crazy what 1/4 of a year will do to a person.

Things I've Learned About Myself:
Growth:

  1. I can be social, I just chose not to most of the time.
  2. I'm capable of taking care of myself
  3. I'm capable to traveling internationally, alone
  4. I'm capable of being a leader
  5. I drink responsibly
  6. I can be organised when the time calls for it
  7. I am capable of meal-planning, budgeting, and shopping for myself
  8. I can control my impulse-buying (except when books are involved)
  9. I am a good listener
  10. I am a good friend
Things to work on:
  1. Asking for what I need
  2. Voicing my opinion
  3. Confrontation
  4. Not comparing myself to others
  5. Vulnerability - I'm ok with it for a while, then I get tired of myself and shut it down; I'm scared of my own emotions
  6. Putting God first in EVERYTHING
  7. Trust
  8. Confidence
  9. Playing nice with others
  10. Not running away
Things I love:
  1. Getting to know people on a deeper level, and being known
  2. Midnight walks and runs
  3. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
  4. When others take the time to get to know me
  5. Little acts of service
  6. Baking/cooking for others
  7. Bailey's Hot Chocolate
  8. Learning about myself
  9. Alone time - I love people, but sometimes I just need to be on my own
  10. Being allowed to be me
Things that bug:
  1. Double-standards
  2. Being told how I feel
  3. Being made to feel inferior (I do it to myself all the time, but apparently I'm the only one who's allowed)
  4. Being told to just shrug something off
  5. Discourtesy 
  6. Being confined
  7. Passive-aggressive comments
  8. Being deprived of horses
  9. Assumptions
  10. Having your entire grade dependent on 1 or 2 assignments
These three months have been a huge blessing on my life, I wouldn't trade them for the world.  Not all of the decisions I've made here have been the "right" ones, but I've learned and grown from each and every one of them.  I'd like to thank everyone who was part of getting me here, especially my family and friends for all of their love and support.  I'd also like to thank all of the friends I've made here for making me feel welcome and loved.  I didn't know it was possible to develop such deep, and meaningful friendships in such a short amount of time; I am TRULY thankful for each and every one of you!

This is not an Oscar's acceptance speech so I'm going to stop before it gets too long and maybe do something productive....pffff who are we kidding, I was productive yesterday ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment