Friday, October 4, 2013

A Day in the Life of Hermione Granger




So today was the first real day of classes (as in I had all my classes today) and it was a marathon kind of day.  I started today at 7.30am with some lovely bread and butter.  I then walked to a class I'm auditing with one of my wonderful flatmates (she's actually taking the class).  The class was very interesting, but after the day I've had I'm not sure I'll be able to do it again.  Anywho, that class lasted from 9-10.30am (they had a short coffee break before heading out to do their practical til 1.00pm).  We had a nice chat with a British student who then walked me to my next class as I was iffy on how to get there.  My next class (my first class) was American Cinema since 1950 and it was SOO much fun.  My professor is Irish and loves Americans and American Cinema.  I'm very excited for next week when we screen The Searchers (a John Wayne western).  That class went from 11.00-12.55.

After Cinema I had to rush to another hall for my second class (Sport, Exercise, and Fitness) at 1.00pm.  This may be tmi, but this is my blog so I don't care (stop reading or skip ahead if you do).  By this time I'd had a large coffee and really needed to use the loo, unfortunately I was worried about being late to my next class so I rushed to get there and forewent the restroom.  I then proceeded to sit through a 90 minute lecture with a full bladder - that is the very definition of torture.  Other than my urgent need of a WC the class was great, my lecturer is quite entertaining, and the material is really interesting and easily applicable to life.

After the lecture ended I had 25 minutes to find a restroom, run to my flat, change into workout gear, and run back to campus for our first practical (turns out I didn't actually need the workout gear but oh well).  Practical ran from 3-4, then I ran back to my flat, had some supper, then went back to campus for my final class of the day: SPANISH!!!

My Spanish class consisted of myself, a girl from Romania, and our professor (who is Spanish - as in Spain - BELKIS {te extraño mucho!}) sitting around a table talking about our lives in fluent Spanish.  It was soooooo much fun.  I will be a much more proficient Spanish speaker after this module, it's gonna be AWESOME.

Este parte es por Belkis y mis compañeros de mi clase de español.  Mi clase en Inglaterra es muy pequeña – 2 estudiantes (incluye yo) y la profesora.  Hoy hablamos español fluente por 2 horas sin descanso.  Yo estaba pensando en español y entiendo (casi) todo que las otras dijeron.  En Inglaterra se hablan español de España – Castellano.  El acento es un poco diferente, pero para oír un acento diferente es muy interesante (me sentí feliz que todavía puedo entenderlo).  Estoy escribiendo este párrafo a la medianoche así la gramática es horrible, voy a parar ahora, escribiré más luego.  ¡Yo extraño a todos!  xx  

After Spanish I ran back to the flat and snacked on everything I could find.  I was contemplating going to bed super early so I could get up and run before I depart for LONDON with the rest of the study abroad students, but then someone mentioned movie night.  So instead of going to bed or doing homework (or anything that resembles something productive) I hung out with a bunch of friends, ate more food, and watched HP5.  It was a lovely night, but I am dog tired now and have to be up in 6.5 hours so I am going to try to get some sleep.

Highlights of the day:

  1. Meeting new friends (none were American)
  2. Dos horas de conversación en español
  3. Spending quality time with friends and flatmates
  4. A proper American THUNDERSTORM (that scared the Brits)
  5. Movie plans :)
A busy day well spent....time turner would have relieved some stress though.

No comments:

Post a Comment