Saturday, October 19, 2013

London Take 2: War Cabinet Rooms

Today we had our second field trip to London.  We were meant to visit the War Cabinet Rooms and National Gallery, unfortunately due to late arrival, an unplanned splitting of the group, and lack of communication I did not get to visit the National Gallery.  I did thoroughly enjoy the War Cabinet Rooms and my (overpriced) lunch, but was a bit miffed about the lack of communication that led to 10 students being left behind and missing out on a cool experience.

The War Cabinet Rooms are basically a museum of Winston Churchill's life located in the basement where he directed the British troops during WWII.  It was a really amazing museum complete with interactive media presentations and things you could touch.  It housed numerous artifacts from his life (including his suits, medals, books, paintings, and much much more), and walked you through his life from birth to death.  One of my favourite things was the media display of all his pets, he had quite the zoo due to his deep love for animals.  I was very impressed with Churchill pre-visit due to his cool composure, wit, and quippy quotes, but I am now thoroughly intrigued by him.  He was a complex and fascinating person.  The museum also contained actual rooms used in the war restored to how they would have looked then.  I am continually enthralled with how easy it is to step into history in this country.

After the War Cabinet Rooms a group of us emerged into the daylight from the basement only to discover that we had been abandoned by our group.  Luckily we're all clever so we figured out how to get to Trafalgar Square where we split off to grab lunch (we were not going without lunch again).  Fortunately, one of the girls managed to get ahold of one of the adult leaders who told her where and when we were meeting to head back to Canterbury.  So our little group of "the forgotten" split up to find food.  I went to a little diner/burger joint restaurant with one of my good friends and we had a lovely lunch together on Trafalgar Square.  I had a delicious Chicken, Bacon, and Avacado salad and enjoyed every last bit of it.  After that we walked to the meeting point and boarded the bus to drive home.  I slept part of the way and read Divergent the rest, which reminds me I left off at a very bad point and should probably finish reading.

I leave you with a song:

No comments:

Post a Comment