Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spicy Italian Veggies with Chicken

Photo: My new favorite meal

This is my favourite meal of the moment.  It is easy to fix, cheap, super health, and, most importantly, super DELICIOUS!

I don't really measure things when I cook (except for when I bake), but here is an approximate recipe:

Ingredients:

  1. Red Bell Pepper
  2. Green Bell Pepper
  3. Mushrooms
  4. Onions
  5. Extra Spicy Bolognese Sauce
  6. Pre-cooked Chicken Breast (optional)
  7. Cheese (optional - I use mature cheddar and/or Parmesan) 
  8. Fat = Olive Oil and/or Vitalite Butter
Seasoning (to taste):
  1. Salt
  2. Pepper
  3. Garlic
  4. Oregano
Method:
  1. Saute all vegetables in small amount of fat until mushrooms become tender (squishy) and all veggies begin to shrink
  2. Add sauce and chicken; heat until bubbling
  3. Pour into bowl/onto plate
  4. Add cheese if desired
It's that easy. 

I buy everything (except for the bell peppers) pre-chopped at Tesco.  A punnet of 3 shopped onions is £1,  as is a bag of chopped mushrooms.  A bag of 3 bell peppers is £1.50.  I think the sauce was £1-2, and the cheese was 2 bags for £3.  The chicken is the most expensive part, I bought mine pre-cooked and chopped this time for £2.05.  Next time I will buy a whole chicken, bake it, and freeze/defrost as needed.

This would be excellent over rice, quinoa, or pasta, but it's also delicious on its own.  I'm planning on modifying it slightly to make a fajita version.

Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment