Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Discouragement Meet Encouragement

I have been so conflicted lately about my future and my dreams.  Often I feel that my dreams are unachievable, but recently I saw this quote (and by recently I mean this morning): "If your dreams don't scare you... they're not big enough."  Then I thought to myself, who the hell says I'm not good enough for what I want to do? So far it's only been me, no one else has told me no.  So why shouldn't I pursue acting (after I get my BA of course)?  Why not at least try?  I've been so down on myself about this dream, it's about time I try a positive outlook.

I am a person who hates living with any sort of regret; if I don't at least try to pursue my dream (a dream I've had since I was a child) imagine what a bitter old woman I'm going to be in the future, I'm gonna be a nightmare!

Of course I realize that this road I want to take is not an easy one, it will be an incredible challenge, I realize that; I know that I'm about to enter a shark tank of extreme competitiveness, guess what, I'm extremely competitive.  I also realize that Hollywood is a land of many temptations, and I am a Christian woman.  My faith is extremely important to me and I would never want to jeopardize it.  This being said, God made me this way.  He gave me my love of film, my sharp wit, my determination, my intelligence, my dreams/goals/aspirations, and my talent.  I recently talked to a very wonderful, wise, and God-fearing woman - my God-mother - about my dirty little crackpot dream.  To my surprise, she supported me completely.  She encouraged me to go out and whole-heartedly give it a try.  When I mentioned moving to LA after I graduate she told me to do it; go there and pray about it, if it's meant to happen God will open doors, if not, He'll open some different ones, I just need to pay attention.  I felt incredibly encouraged after our chat.  On top of that, yesterday, a friend showed me a blog written by a small-town girl who moved to Hollywood to pursue acting.  She too, is a Christian with similar values and goals to myself (oh my goodness, I feel grammar Nazis everywhere cringing as they read this post - I apologize, I just don't care enough to fix it).  She is succeeding in her endeavors, God is opening many doors for her.

I feel that these two encouraging happenings/discoveries are (perhaps) God opening the door just a crack on my dreams becoming a reality.  Thus discouragement has met encouragement and I feel just a smidge better about my oh-so-unsure future (now I just need to break the news to my parents who may disown me).

Here's an entertaining interview with Jennifer Lawrence about how she became an actress- therefore it is pertinent to this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment