Friday, November 9, 2012

Movie Review: 96 Minutes

So I watched this movie for no reason other than it looked pretty good and I found it on YouTube.  Let me just say that I am so glad I watched it  It was a really well-done movie (at least I thought so, you may think otherwise for you are not me) about an actual event. 

Plus we've been discussing inchoate crimes/parties to a crime and this movie encompasses all of those things.  I almost wish we could've watched it in class then picked it apart in terms of crimes committed, inchoate crimes, and the different parties involved.  Better yet, this movie should have been our test - watch it and then write a persuasive essay about who should be charged with what crime and why.  I digress.
 
It's based on a true story about a 4 people involved in a car-jacking: 2 college seniors and 2 high school boys.  The actual car-jacking and 96 minutes afterwords are shot in semi-real time.  The movie starts with the car-jacking already in progress, then cuts back and forth between events earlier in the day that lead up to the event.  It's a little confusing, but you become more oriented as the movie progresses (I thought it was clever, but I like thinking movies).

Things I Liked:
  • The plot is compelling and kept me on the edge of my seat
  • The movie is well-acted
  • I like thrillers, this movie met my needs for that category
  • This movie made me think, not only about what was going to happen next/what happened earlier that day, but about how the little choices you make throughout your day can change your life - butterfly effect type stuff
  • It kept me guessing
  • I did NOT know how it was going to end
  • It was also interesting to examine from a criminal justice point of view (thinking up all the crimes I could charge the carjackers with)
  • It brought light to something that happens every day - carjacking/gang violence
Things I Didn't Like:
  • Not gonna lie, I was confused at the beginning
  • Shakey camera at times and really close close-ups - but I do understand why they used these techniques
Honestly there wasn't a whole lot that I didn't like - I really enjoyed this movie.

Similarish Movies (in my opinion):
  • The Next Three Days
  • Twelve (according to IMdB)
  • Limitless 
That's my schpeel, it's a good crime thriller if that's something you enjoy watching.  Here is a link to the movie

Happy Weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment